Monday, September 24, 2007

Hallo!

Here goes my first entry then. Apologies if its rather naff, but its half past 6 at night, I'm in the library and I'm HUNGRY. Hehe. Plus, I also just pressed a button on my computer which made the keyboard do the reverse function. So I lost my previous post. I also don't have the net in my room yet cos its not working. First piece of advice: Keysurf sucks. Avoid it like hell.

I'm sensing that you have a burning question on your lips. I'm also guessing that its: What have you been up to? So here we go:

Friday 21st September:

Today I moved in because I had a disability induction which started at 9:30am. This meant that I had to get up at 5:30am which I have never done in my entire life. Did I enjoy it? No. I got there and spent ages wandering around like a wally with mum because I couldn't get into lakeside reception to pick up my keys and swipecard. Finally we got somewhere and my slaves (aka my sister and mum) dumped my stuff in my room whilst I attended the induction. Whilst there I met a really nice guy called Alex, who has now become a firm friend. I know that everyone says it, but you really do make friends that quickly. It also helps because your mind is drawn away from all the daunting things and you don't think about leaving home. (That is, until like me, you find a card in your laptop bag which talks about virtual hugs from family whilst being away.)

I'd also advise going around Brum as soon as you can as you feel a lot more at ease. I went and found the nearest Tesco Express which is only 10 minutes away. It's surprising how near everything is.

Saturday 22nd September:

This was the day that everyone else arrived so I was quite glad to have some company in my flat! Unfortunately I hadn't slept well because I don't sleep well unless I'm at home.
Once I got up, I decided to try out the shower. I wouldn't recommend it if you don't like showers. Nuff said.

After lunch I went to meet a guy called Will, who I met through the UCAS supported site, You Go Further. If you haven't already signed up, I'd really recommend doing so. I ended up with about 10 friends on there, about 7 of whom I've already met and some of whom are firm friends. Later on I also met up with another You Go friend called Zoe, and her You Go friend (who actually also added me) called Kim. (Who is a boy.) We decided that we'd go to the Freshers Party together that night. It was a bit daunting at first, but once we got in there it was fab! We spent the night in the fabulous Einstein's bar where we played pool, messed around with the juke box and got drunk. Oh, and we also ran into a naked male auntie several times.


And the most fantastic event of the night- The fire alarm went off at 4am. What a joy. It's already gone off 3 times previously in Stafford Tower. No idea who set it off, but I certainly had fun standing around in my dressing gown outside. Haha. Nice welcome to Aston there. Be warned- always keep a jumper and thick coat next to your bed in case this happens. Its very likely as I've discovered.

Sunday 23rd September:

Due to the events of the previous night I woke up at 11am.
Decided to go out to the guild to have a look for a job as I'm now a poor, penilless student. Nothing was open. So after lunch I met up with Will and Zoe who introduced me to more people. We all decided that we'd go for a proper explore of the Bull Ring. It wasn't very successful. Ben and Jerry's freezer had broken and the Rag Market was closed. (Despite a huge OPEN sign. Will feels cheated.)
I was then introduced to some more people whom I went out with later that night, to my resident local, The Sacks. (The Sack of Potatoes pub, next to the guild.) It's lovely in there. We were gonna go to the party that night, but us being "sensible" freshers decided that because we had to get up for induction at 8am that we'd skip it and watch a DVD. Our choice was "Davis Gorman's Googlewhack Adventure." To all freshers- you could be possible Googlewhacks!!! Look it up. Seriously.

Monday 24th September:

Didn't sleep well again, due to being woken up at 3am by some randomers in front of our flat door who were playing a game called "Ping pang pong." (This seemed to consist of shouting "PING PANG PONG" very loudly, with the occasional "Kung Fu.") When talking to my flatmates this morning, we all assumed that they were gatecrashers in our kitchen, they were that loud. Apparently not. If they're out there tonight, they're so dead!!! :D

Today I officially became a student! That's right, I enrolled. It took so long that I ended up skipping a lot of the meetings (Ssssh.) It basically consists of playing a game of musical chairs and handing lots of forms about. Again though, if you're shoved next to someone you don't know, you can end up making a new friend. I met a girl called Emma who might be coming with Will and I to a gig tomorrow.

I also went to the job shop and got some applications. (BUILD A BEAR- WOO HOO!)

Since 4ish I've been in the library. Now I'm going home to eat. Auf Wiedersehen und bis bald :)

No comments: